I am happy to see you on our website. Let me tell you some information about it. This is big database of essays. It is absolutely free! Just find what you need and enjoy writing.


Category: Essays. Read for free | Views: 225

Second Hand Smoke


Second Hand Smoke


Secondhand smoke is actually worse than smoking itself . Only 15% of smoke is inhaled and by the smoker and the other 85% goes directly into the air to be inhaled by involuntary nonsmokers. It is a major cause of lung cancer and respiratory disease in young people because secondhand smoke is cigarette, cigar or pipe smoke that is inhaled unintentionally by nonsmokers. When exposed to secondhand smoke lung caner kills more women than breast cancer and is the second leading cause of premature death for men. Secondhand smoke inhalation causes increased risk of lung infections and lung disease as bad as pneumonia, bronchitis, asthma, emphysema, to little things like ear infections, sinus problems, nausea, dizziness and headaches.

There are two types of smoke coming from a nonsmoker. The mainstream smoke, which is smoke inhaled and exhaled for the smoker. Then there is side stream smoke, the smoke from a cigar or a cigarette just burning in the ashtray. Side stream smoke even has more carcinogens in it that is reaching the air because have the chemicals weren‘t inhaled yet by the smoker. Smoke contains over 3,000 chemicals and at least 50 of which are known and identified carcinogens. They put these chemicals in cigarettes to reduce tar and maintain the level of nicotine necessary to keep them addictive. Nicotine is the main chemical in cigarette and is what keeps you addictive. Nicotine is a colorless, oily water-soluble highly toxic, liquid alkaloid, containing insecticide. 90% of the nicotine delivered to the lungs goes directly to the brain and gets there in only 7 seconds. Other chemicals in cigarettes or cigars are tar, carbon monoxide, dimethylnitrosamine, Ethylmethylnitrosamine, hydrazine, vinyl chloride, urethane, formaldehyde, nitrous acid, ammonia, acetone and many more. Low tar in the cigarette helps calm peoples fears about having health risks.



Some communities have banned smoking in places such as restaurants entirely. Other require a separate smoking section, which I think is ridiculous because no matter if you have two rooms and one is for smoking and the other isn’t, the secondhand smoke is

still going to be traveling through the air and eventually leading to the nonsmoking section.

Smoking is a bad habit and is highly addictive. Smoking may calm your stress but overall the risk of smoking or inhaling secondhand smoke is to risky anymore. So if your in a room or car with anyone who is smoking, try to leave the room or open a window so the smoke goes outside. You wouldn’t even imagine how much chemicals are going into your system just by breathing in someone else’s smoke.




Bibliography:

Related essays

Smoking In Public Places
Smoking In Restaurants
Cigarettes Illegal
Smoking: The Real Truth
Smoking
Smoking
Deductive Essay on Tobacco